1 hr 15 mins
What a great cake! I made this for my birthday and wow! Served with cream after dinner it was delicious. Deeply flavoured.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup shortening or 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup very hot water
- 2 1/3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons orange zest (optional)
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade or 1/4 cup apricot jam
- dark chocolate ganache (I recommend Jeni's Chocolate Ganache)
- 1Preheat oven to 180C/350º F.
- 2Grease and flour 9-inch/20cm square pan.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together.
- 4Add egg. Add the water to the molasses, stir to combine, then stir molasses water into the butter mixture.
- 5Stir dry ingredients together, add to liquid mixture, and combine until smooth. Pour into prepared pan, bake 45 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- 6To decorate-.
- 7Once cool, split the cake in half horizontally.
- 8Sit the two halves, cut side up, on the counter, and spread one half with jam and the other half with chocolate ganache.
- 9Sandwich the two halves back together.
- 10Ice the entire cake with chocolate ganache, decorate and serve!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingerbread Cake With Chocolate Ganache
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 285.4
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 17.6 mg
- Sodium 275.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 23.8 g
- Protein 3.0 g