Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
What a great cake! I made this for my birthday and wow! Served with cream after dinner it was delicious. Deeply flavoured.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup very hot water
- 2 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons orange zest (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup orange marmalade or 1⁄4 cup apricot jam
- dark chocolate ganache (I recommend Jeni's Chocolate Ganache)
- Preheat oven to 180C/350º F.
- Grease and flour 9-inch/20cm square pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together.
- Add egg. Add the water to the molasses, stir to combine, then stir molasses water into the butter mixture.
- Stir dry ingredients together, add to liquid mixture, and combine until smooth. Pour into prepared pan, bake 45 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- To decorate-.
- Once cool, split the cake in half horizontally.
- Sit the two halves, cut side up, on the counter, and spread one half with jam and the other half with chocolate ganache.
- Sandwich the two halves back together.
- Ice the entire cake with chocolate ganache, decorate and serve!
This cake was easy to make & the result was good. I'm not a fan of gingerbread, but everyone else likes this cake. Made belatedly for Aus/NZ Recipe Swap January 2008. Thanks for sharing this recipe Chickee.