Prep 50 mins
Cook 50 mins
My daughter's 'nona' (Godmother) is mad about gingerbread. I found this recipe at ivillage and am making it for her next visit. Gingerbread Cake tastes better the next day, so don't hesitate to prepare it ahead. Caramelized Pineapple can also be make in advance and reheated just before serving.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 1 large ripe pineapple (about 3 pounds)
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon dark jamaican rum
- confectioners' sugar, for garnish
- Prepare Gingerbread Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 10-cup fluted baking pan (such as a bundt); dust with flour.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, salt, cloves, and pepper; set aside.
- In large bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat butter, granulated sugar, and vanilla 3 minutes or until creamy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula.
- Reduce speed to medium.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In 4-cup glass measuring cup or bowl, stir molasses with 1 cup very hot water.
- Reduce mixer speed to low; add flour mixture alternately with molasses mixture, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan on wire tack 20 minutes.
- Loosen cake from pan.
- Invert cake onto rack; cool completely.
- Prepare Caramelized Pineapple: Cut crown and stem ends from pineapple; cut off rind.
- Slice pineapple lengthwise into quarters.
- Remove core from each quarter.
- Cut each quarter crosswise into 1-inch slices.
- In nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat brown sugar with butter over medium heat until melted, stirring to combine.
- Add pineapple to skillet; arrange in single layer.
- Cook pineapple 15 minutes, turning pieces over once.
- Prepare Rum Cream: In medium bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat cream until soft peaks form.
- Add confectioners' sugar and rum and beat just until stiff peaks form.
- Sprinkle cake with confectioners' sugar.
- Serve cake with Caramelized Pineapple and Rum Cream.
This was a very dense cake, but delicious. I used a combination spice from the UK instead of each individual spice. I didn't use the carmelized pineapple, but it was really good with rum flavoured whipped cream #74805, it whipped up great and added a wonderful taste to the cake.
This was excellent! Concise directions, as always, Evelyn. Big hit for our family Sunday dinner, and the caramelized pineapple and the rum cream would both be excellent with other desserts, as well. (I'm thinking on top of vanilla ice cream!) The cake had a wonderful, mellow flavor. Everything was subtle.....nothing was overpowering.....not even the molasses.
This made a very big cake and it was a beautiful colour too. i did not get the pineapple done but we certainly had the rum cream !!! made and enjoyed for ZWT 4.