Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This elegant version of gingerbread is a satisfying end to a fall meal and very delicious.
Make and share this Gingerbread Cake With Caramelized Pears recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 small ripe pear, peeled, cored, puree in a blender to make 3/4 cup puree
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup dark molasses
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 6 rip pears, peeled, cored, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Grease and flour a 10 inch bundt pan.
- Combine the flour, soda, 1 tsp cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Combine the pear puree and buttermilk in a bowl and mix well.
- Beat the butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl until creamy, scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Add the molasses and beat until blended.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition; the batter will appear curdled.
- Add the flour alternately with the pear mixture, beating well after each addition and scraping the sides of the bowl frequently to make sure all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or untila wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean and the cake begins to pull away from the side of the pan.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Beat the whipping cream, sugar, vanilla and 1/2 tsp cinnamon in a mixing bowl until soft peaks form.
- Slice the cake and arranges on individual dessert plates, topped with the whipped cream and caramelized pears.
- For the pears: Heat the butter in a large heavy skillet until sizzling.
- Add the pears and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with the sugar and stir.
- Cook for 10 minutes until the pears are caramelized and tender, stirring gently.
- Remove and let stand until room temperature.