Recipe by DrGaellon
Adapted from a recipe at the LiveJournal blog of fantasy author Lynn Flewelling (_Stalking Darkness_, _The Bone Doll's Twin_), which she got from _Cook's Illustrated_. http://bit.ly/ePNCY0
Top Review by Laura2of7
I'm so glad to find this recipe posted here. I just finished watching the episode of America's Test Kitchen where they made this gingerbread and they never actually said how much baking soda they used. I can't rate the recipe until I've made it and I will need to go shopping first. (No fresh ginger in the house. Or stout, although I do have some lager beer. I wonder if I could substitute?) Anyway, thanks for posting the recipe. It looked very good on television and I intend to make it soon.
- 3⁄4 cup stout beer
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup mild molasses
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh gingerroot
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease and flour an 8x8" square baking pan.
- Bring stout to a boil in a large saucepan. Off heat, stir in baking soda; it will foam up. When foam subsides, add molasses and both sugars; stir until dissolved.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, ground ginger, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and pepper.
- Whisk eggs, oil and grated ginger into stout mixture.
- Whisk wet mixture into flour mixture in thirds, mixing thoroughly after each addition. Pour batter into pan and bake 35-45 min, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 1 1/2 hours. Cut into squares.