Prep 20 mins
Cook 22 mins
Drizzle an easy orange sauce over homemade gingerbread for an old-fashioned holiday dessert. Cut just the number of squares needed, then you can use gingerbread cookie cutter to form fun and festive gingerbread fellows. Decorate as desired. Can be made dairy free if desired as well.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup expeller pressed coconut oil
- 1⁄3 cup sugar or 1⁄3 cup honey, granules
- 1 cup molasses
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour or 3 cups freshly milled soft white wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the molasses, water and egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; add to creamed mixture and beat until combined. Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350 for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Serve with cake.