Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 freshly grated orange zest
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup gingerroot, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Beat brown sugar, butter or margarine, and orange rind until smooth, using an electric mixer.
- Beat in egg and egg white, beating well after each addition.
- Add applesauce, molasses and ginger; mixing until smooth.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to sugar mixture; beating 2 to 3 minutes.
- Bake in 8-inch square cake pan at 350° for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cold.
This cake had great flavor and superior texture! Sooo good! I did not have any orange zest, so I substituted lemon zest. I also reduced the amount of fresh grated ginger to 2 T. My grated-ginger-in-a-jar was kind of coarse, so I pureed it with a little bit of applesauce before adding to the batter. The fresh ginger in this cake gives it a unique, full-bodied taste that isn't like regular old gingerbread made with powdered ginger. We really enjoyed this! Thanks.