Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Soft, light ginger cake, always a favourite with morning tea.
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup golden syrup
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease and flour a loaf tin.
- Sift together flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and golden syrup.
- Add flour mixture and water; beat until smooth.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake for 30- 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool completely.