Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A delicious cake for serious ginger lovers!
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 orange, rind of, grated
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup gingerroot, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake-and-pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 3 large apples, peeled & sliced apples
- In bowl and using electric mixer, beat brown sugar, margarine or butter and orange rind until smooth.
- Beat in egg and egg white, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in applesauce, molasses and ginger until smooth. 3. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture, beating for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer to 8-inch (2 L) square cake pan. Bake in 350°F (180 oven for 40 minutes or until cake pulls away from sides of pan and toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- To make the apple topping:.
- In a heavy skillet , combine sugar, lemon rind, lemon juice and cinnamon; cook over medium heat till bubbly.
- Add apples and cook , stirring often for 5 minutes or till tender. Let cool slightly. Top warm cake with the apple topping.
- I warmed the left over apple sauce and added a little cinnamon , and pour some over the cake.
- Serve warm or cold. Makes 12 servings.