1/4 Photos of Gingerbread Boy Cookies
1 hr 12 mins
I've been making this recipe for at least 20 years now. I never noted where the recipe came from, but it would have been a magazine or one of my mother or grandmother's old cookbooks. I'm guessing on how many "normal" sized gingerbread men this will make, as I've only ever had a gigantic 9 or 10 inch tall cutter. Generally, I'll make a batch and then put one giant gingerbread boy on each cookie platter I'll be delivering to friends or family. :) The prep time includes refrigerating the dough before rolling out. Update: I've added a bit more spice than the original recipe, thanks to Diana's review. I posted the recipe for her to try and I appreciate her feedback on it. I also used whole cloves, allspice and nutmeg that I ground myself with a mortar and pestle or grated on a zester (nutmeg). I think the fresh ground flavors really made a nice touch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 -9 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (fresh grated preferred)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon clove
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups light molasses
- 3 eggs
- 1 -2 cup raisins (optional for decorating)
- 1 recipe royal icing (or buttercream, optional for decorating)
- 1In medium bowl, sift together 3 cups of the flour, the baking soda, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt. Set aside.
- 2In large bowl, cream together the brown sugar and butter. Add the molasses and eggs, stirring until incorporated.
- 3Add the sifted flour and spices. Stir well.
- 4Add the rest of the flour (unsifted is fine), a cup at a time, until the dough is firm, but not dry. (You may not need all of the flour, you may need a little more.).
- 5Divide dough into quarters, roll into a ball & pat into a thick disc shape. Wrap each disc in plastic wrap and refrigerate until easy to handle (about 30 minutes to an hour) or until you're ready to roll it out.
- 6Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 7Grease 2 or more cookie sheets (I use parchment paper instead of greasing) and set aside.
- 8On a lightly floured surface, roll out one disc at a time to a 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with gingerbread boy cookie cutter, getting as many cut as possible. Transfer cookies to prepared cookie sheets, gently press raisins in for eyes and buttons, if desired.
- 9Re-roll any scraps to get as many cookies as you can.
- 10Repeat with the remaining dough.
- 11Bake, one sheet at a time, for 12-13 minutes.
- 12Allow cookies to cool on sheet, 2 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to cool completely.
- 13Decorate boys (or girls) with colored royal or buttercream icing, if desired.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingerbread Boy Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (2196 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2003.9
- Calories from Fat 474
- Total Fat 52.7 g
- Saturated Fat 30.9 g
- Cholesterol 261.5 mg
- Sodium 2044.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 354.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 134.3 g
- Protein 32.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: