Recipe by I'mPat
From a national supermarkets Christmas magazine. They suggest filling with gold truffle balls but any sweet/lolly/chocolate would do, I also think this would be a good one for Easter and filled with mini Easter eggs.
Top Review by pammyowl
Very cute and easy to male. I know they will make great Christmas gifts, everyone will love them! I am going to freeze them until then so they won't be stale:) Made for newest recipe zaar 2012
- 125 g butter (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1⁄2 cup golden syrup
- 1 egg (separated)
- 2 1⁄2 cups plain flour (all purpose)
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup white chocolate chips (melted)
- 1 3⁄4 cups icing sugar (pure)
- silver cachous (to decorate)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180C or 160C fan forced.
- Line 2 large baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Using electric beaters, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy and then add golden syrup and egg yolk and beat until combined.
- Add sifted flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda, using a knife to mix until evenly combined.
- Gather dough together and turn out onto a sheet of non-stick baking paper.
- Divide the dough into 2 even portions, wrap one portion in cling wrap and set aside.
- Roll the other portion out to a rectangle about 26cm x 18cm and trim the sides to give straight lines, but don't make it any small than 24cm x 16cm.
- Cut dough into 12 pieces (four rows of three).
- Transfer pieces to one of the prepared trays, leaving a little room between them for spreading.
- Place trays in the fridge and chill while you roll out and cut the other piece of dough as you did the first.
- Bake first tray for 10 minutes, while chilling the second tray, then bake that tray for 10 minutes.
- Leave on the trays for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Whisk egg white until frothy, then gradually add sifted icing sugar to make a stiff paste.
- Place paste into a small plastic piping bag and snip off the end and pipe this icing on the outside of joins of the square to cover any gaps and then decorate with cachous.
- Pipe a cross onto the box tops and decorate and ;leave to set.
- Fill with chosen sweets.