1 hr 20 mins
From a national supermarkets Christmas magazine. They suggest filling with gold truffle balls but any sweet/lolly/chocolate would do, I also think this would be a good one for Easter and filled with mini Easter eggs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 180C or 160C fan forced.
- 2Line 2 large baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- 3Using electric beaters, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy and then add golden syrup and egg yolk and beat until combined.
- 4Add sifted flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda, using a knife to mix until evenly combined.
- 5Gather dough together and turn out onto a sheet of non-stick baking paper.
- 6Divide the dough into 2 even portions, wrap one portion in cling wrap and set aside.
- 7Roll the other portion out to a rectangle about 26cm x 18cm and trim the sides to give straight lines, but don't make it any small than 24cm x 16cm.
- 8Cut dough into 12 pieces (four rows of three).
- 9Transfer pieces to one of the prepared trays, leaving a little room between them for spreading.
- 10Place trays in the fridge and chill while you roll out and cut the other piece of dough as you did the first.
- 11Bake first tray for 10 minutes, while chilling the second tray, then bake that tray for 10 minutes.
- 12Leave on the trays for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 13Whisk egg white until frothy, then gradually add sifted icing sugar to make a stiff paste.
- 14Place paste into a small plastic piping bag and snip off the end and pipe this icing on the outside of joins of the square to cover any gaps and then decorate with cachous.
- 15Pipe a cross onto the box tops and decorate and ;leave to set.
- 16Fill with chosen sweets.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingerbread Boxes
Serving Size: 1 (289 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1187.7
- Calories from Fat 368
- Total Fat 40.9 g
- Saturated Fat 24.7 g
- Cholesterol 122.2 mg
- Sodium 629.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 197.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 114.8 g
- Protein 12.5 g