Prep 2 hrs 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
There are several other ginger or gingerbread biscotti recipes out there, but this one does not have nuts. I had good results with whole wheat pastry flour. The egg wash and sugar coating really adds an extra sparkle for a holiday treat! These make a great gift.
- 3⁄4 cup crystallized ginger
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup light molasses
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 4 teaspoons sugar, larger crystals, if possible
- Finely chop one half of the ginger, and coarsely chop the other half. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine ground ginger, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and both sugars.
- Beat in butter, then eggs and molasses, until smooth.
- Stir in chopped crystalized ginger.
- Sift in flour and baking powder. Beat until just mixed. Dough should be thick and a little sticky.
- Divide dough in half and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill for 2-3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- On a greased pan or one lined with parchment paper, shape each portion of dough into a log (1/2 inch thick, 2 inches wide, and 12 inches long), 2 inches apart.
- Beat the egg white and water until frothy. Lightly brush onto logs (you won't use all of it). Sprinkle each log with two teaspoons of the sugar.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, then remove from oven. Let cool for about 5-10 minutes.
- With a serrated knife, slice each loaf into 1/2 inch thick slices. Place slices back on cookie sheet, cut side down and put back into the oven. Bake for another 10 minutes, flipping after 5 minutes.
- Cool completely. Cookies will crisp as they cool. Store in an airtight container.