2 hrs 20 mins
There are several other ginger or gingerbread biscotti recipes out there, but this one does not have nuts. I had good results with whole wheat pastry flour. The egg wash and sugar coating really adds an extra sparkle for a holiday treat! These make a great gift.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup crystallized ginger
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup light molasses
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 4 teaspoons sugar, larger crystals, if possible
- 1Finely chop one half of the ginger, and coarsely chop the other half. Set aside.
- 2In a large bowl, combine ground ginger, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and both sugars.
- 3Beat in butter, then eggs and molasses, until smooth.
- 4Stir in chopped crystalized ginger.
- 5Sift in flour and baking powder. Beat until just mixed. Dough should be thick and a little sticky.
- 6Divide dough in half and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill for 2-3 hours.
- 7Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 8On a greased pan or one lined with parchment paper, shape each portion of dough into a log (1/2 inch thick, 2 inches wide, and 12 inches long), 2 inches apart.
- 9Beat the egg white and water until frothy. Lightly brush onto logs (you won't use all of it). Sprinkle each log with two teaspoons of the sugar.
- 10Bake for 25-30 minutes, then remove from oven. Let cool for about 5-10 minutes.
- 11With a serrated knife, slice each loaf into 1/2 inch thick slices. Place slices back on cookie sheet, cut side down and put back into the oven. Bake for another 10 minutes, flipping after 5 minutes.
- 12Cool completely. Cookies will crisp as they cool. Store in an airtight container.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingerbread Biscotti
Serving Size: 1 (29 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 106.3
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 20.2 mg
- Sodium 43.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 1.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: