Member #610488's Note:
This recipe is from the Cafe Orleans restaurant in New Orleans Square at Disneyland Park, Anaheim, California.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup evaporated milk, heated until warm but not hot
- 1 (1/2 ounce) envelope dry active yeast
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup shortening
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1Combine evaporated milk and yeast in a large bowl; add egg, molasses, 2 tablespoons sugar, and vegetable oil. Stir until yeast dissolves and mixture is combined.
- 2Sift together 4 cups flour, salt, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves in a medium bowl.
- 3Add half of flour mixture to milk mixture. Mix well.
- 4Add shortening, blending until combined, then add remaining flour mixture. Knead until mixture comes together, adding remaining 1/2 cup flour, a bit at a time, if needed. Form dough into ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- 5On a floured board, roll dough to 1/3-inch thickness. Cut into 24 squares. Cover with a clean dish towel and set aside in a warm, draft-free area for 45 minutes.
- 6Line a plate with paper towels; set aside.
- 7Add vegetable oil to a deep-sided pot to a depth of 3 inches. Heat oil to 375 degrees F. Drop in dough squares a few at a time, turning frequently with a long-handled slotted spoon. Cook until puffed and golden. Remove with slotted spoon and transfer to the plate lined with paper towels. Lightly tent with foil to keep warm while remaining beignets cook.
- 8Combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl. Dust hot beignets with cinnamon-sugar mixture; serve warm.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingerbread Beignets
Serving Size: 1 (1216 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 167.8
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 10.8 mg
- Sodium 114.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 3.6 g