Recipe by Queen uh Cuisine
These gingerbread bars, topped with a sweet cream cheese icing are to die for. Great for the holidays or any 'ol time. Enjoy :)
Top Review by RonaNZ
Oh my!! This gingerbread is really good! I made this after seeing Jewelies photo in the Aus/NZ forum (What's cooking at your house). A picture paints a thousand words. The gingerbread is a very light sponge and the cream cheese is so decadent! I think I will swirl more vigorously next time and not be afraid of destroying the sponge texture with the cream cheese. Thank you for ruining my diet... which now starts, um, next week! :)
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line 13x9-inch baking pan with foil. Spray foil with no stick cooking spray. Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Beat butter and 3/4 cup of the sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg until well blended. Gradually beat in flour mixture until well mixed. Stir in molasses and water just until blended. Spread evenly in prepared pan.
- Beat cream cheese in large bowl with electric mixer until smooth. Beat in remaining 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Reserve 1/2 cup of the icing; refrigerate remaining icing. Spoon dollops (about 1 teaspoon each) of the reserved icing over batter in pan. With knife or spatula, swirl icing through batter to marbelize.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Lift out of pan using foil. Cool completely on wire rack. Invert and peel off foil. Spread refrigerated icing over bars. Cut into bars. Store in refrigerator.