Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is not a gingerbread cookie. This is a dense, moist cake. Serve with whipped cream and/or a sprinkling of powdered sugar. It is fabulous.
Place in a small bowl
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Place in a large Bowl
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup light molasses
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water (do not put in the bowl yet)
- Slowly add the contents of the small bowl, alternating with 1/2 cup boiling water.
- Beat until creamy.
- Grease and wax paper an 8 x 8 x 2-inch pan.
- Bake at 350 (325 for glass pan) for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from pan while still warm.
Made for PAC and it was so darn easy and smelled wonderful....and tasted even better!
Made for Holiday Tag. Simple to prepare with bold spice flavour...I loved it! I had regular molasses so I don't know what difference it would make.