Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From "What's Cooking at Harmony?" cookbook. Recipe is over 100 years old.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 egg
- 1 cup dark cane syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- Cream butter, shortning, and sugar.
- Mix in egg, molasses, and the other dry ingredints sifted together.
- Add hot water, beating until smooth.
- In a parchment lined, greased jelly-roll pan, pour the batter (which will be very thin).
- Cook at 300 degrees until batter has risen.
- Cook at 350 degrees until toothpick comes out clean.