Prep 9 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a delicious gingerbread recipe. It has a moist, coffecake-like texture with a streusel top. I have made this in a bundt pan, a mini loaf pan and bread pan. This has all the spices to remind you of the holiday season all year long.
- cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Coat the BOTTOM ONLY of a 9 in square pan(or other pan) with cooking spray.
- Mix the flour, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter and shortening to make a crumbly mixture.
- Scoop out 1/4 cup of this mixture and set aside.
- Stir egg and molasses into the mixture.
- Add buttermilk, baking soda and salt.
- Stir until well combined (there will be some lumps).
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle reserved mixture evenly over top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean in preheated oven at 350 degrees.
Very good and easy. I didn't give it 5 stars because I actually found the batter quite watery, and at 30 minutes it was still soupy. I baked this for 60 minutes and it turned out great.