Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more
- all-purpose flour, for pan
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup light molasses
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup minced firmly packed fresh ginger
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
- nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in lower third of oven. Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper, then spray the paper. Dust the entire pan with flour, and shake out the excess.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, turbinado sugar, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together molasses, eggs, oil, and buttermilk.
- Dissolve baking soda in the cup of boiling water. Fold the baking soda and molasses mixtures into dry ingredients until combined. (Do not overmix.) Fold in the minced ginger.
- Scrape batter into prepared baking pan; bake until cake is set around edges and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes in the pan, then invert onto a cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temperature, dusted with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.