Recipe by Petdrwife
I got this recipe from a friend who aquired it from a friend in Ireland. Very moist with a great gingerbread taste. Great with a dollop of real whip cream.
Top Review by Celantiis
I made a lot of modifications to this and it was the best gingerbread I have ever had or made! My changes: all whole wheat pastry flour, 1/4 cup more water, only used 1 teaspoon baking powder, used 1/2 cup sugar, tripled the amount of powdered ginger, added another egg, used 2 tablespoons fresh ginger root, and added cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, black pepper, and 1 1/2 cups grated carrots. A lot of adjustments, but it made it absolutely perfect.
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 large egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Stir together molasses and boiling water; add soda and let cool till lukewarm.
- Cream butter and sugar; add egg.
- Sift all remaining ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to the butter mixture.
- Add molasses mixture; batter will be very thin.
- Place batter in 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes then reduce heat to 300° and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until cake tests done.