Recipe by carrie680
I got this from Rachel Ray's "365: No Repeats" but made some alterations. This would be really good with added mushrooms and onions or pretty much an vegetables you like! You could also omit the chicken and swap vegetable stock for the chicken stock and add some tofu for a yummy vegetarian meal! I have made this with more or less liquid depending on whether I wanted soup or something closer to chicken lo mein.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 lb chicken thigh
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 inches piece fresh ginger
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin (I omitted this because my family doesn't like it)
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups stock
- 1⁄2 lb vermicelli
- 4 scallions
- 1 cup fresh crisp bean sprouts
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Finely chop garlic.
- Peel ginger and cut into matchsticks or grate.
- Grate carrots.
- Trim scallions and cut into 2 1/2 inch lengths, then cut lengthwise into matchsticks.
- Heat a medium pot over medium-high heat.
- Add vegetable oil.
- Add chicken and lightly brown it, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger and stir.
- Add carrots.
- Season with garlic salt, white pepper, cumin and five-spice powder.
- Add stock.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add vermicelli and reduce to simmer.
- Cook 3 minutes then add scallions, bean sprouts and spinach.
- Turn off heat.
- Let soup stand for 5 minutes, adjust seasonings and serve.