Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A perfect way to take advantage of those end-of-season tomatoes. A Pennsylvania Dutch recipe from the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947. Cooking time includes sealing time. While this recipe is written in an old-fashioned way, it is perfectly safe if processed using modern methods. If you are unfamiliar with these techniques, please go to http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_home.html for the current information.
- 6 lbs green tomatoes
- 2 lbs tomatoes
- 5 lbs granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 3 pieces gingerroot
- 3 lemons, sliced and seeded
- Scald tomatoes briefly in boiling water, peel and cut into quarters.
- Add sugar, spices, and lemons.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook slowly until mixture is thick, taking care not to let it scorch.
- Fill 8 sterilized jars and process in boiling water bath until sealed.