Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
The tofu in this can easily be replaced with duck for the carnivores out there. This is one of my favourite soups when I'm poorly sick. The tofu can be either cotton or silken but must be firm, I prefer aeseptic (silken) myself and the mushrooms can be subbed for dried shitake if desired.
- 300 g tofu
- 2 tablespoons runny honey or 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 red pepper, finely sliced
- 75 g shiitake mushrooms, halved
- 1200 ml hot vegetable stock
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and grated
- 4 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 250 g udon noodles or 250 g egg noodles or 250 g rice noodles
- 100 g baby spinach leaves
- Heat grill to medium hot and place tofu on a square of foil. Brush with the honey and grill until crispy on outside. (about 10 mins).
- Allow tofu to cool and cut into small chunks 1cm x 1cm and set aside.
- heat the oil and fry the pepper for 3 mins, add mushrooms and fry for a further 3 minutes.
- Add stock, ginger and soy and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add noodles and simmer for 5 mins or until soft, add spinach and tofu and cook for a further minute.