Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 mins
Simple and unusual. Ginger acts as an appetizer, freshens the palate, ans also warms the body. Good as an hors d'oeuvre or between the courses of as heavy meal, or served with pumpkin or sweet potato tempura. It would also make an amazing garnish on some dishes. From "Good Food From a Japanese Temple".
- 3 ounces fresh ginger, peeled (about 3.5 in.)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons water
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- Cut ginger into medium-thin rounds across the fiber grain, then cut rounds into fine julienne strips.
- Mix flour, salt, and water well. place ginger in batter and toss to coat well.
- Heat oil to 340F/179C,and deep-fry ginger in 4 portions. Drain well and sprinkle with salt.
- Serve hot! Does not keep.