Recipe by wyojess
My friend was having horrible morning sickness and the commercial suckers are awfully expensive, so I came up with this. Head on over to Hobby Lobby and buy a candy thermometer, a sucker mold and some sucker sticks.
- 473.18 ml granulated sugar
- 158.51 ml white corn syrup
- 236.59 ml water
- 2.46 ml cream of tartar
- 14.79 ml ginger powder (~12 grams)
- food coloring, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare candy molds per manufacturer's directions. CAUTION: It's really easy to burn yourself on hot candy. Be careful!
- Over medium heat: Stir together sugar, corn syrup and water in a sauce pan until sugar crystals dissolve. As soon as candy starts to boil, STOP STIRRING.
- Bring to a boil and cook to the hardball stage (300*). Check candy by dipping a spoon in the molton candy and drip into a glass of cold water. Reach in the water and check the candy strand. Candy is done when the test strand comes out brittle.
- Let candy stand until it stops bubbling.
- Very quickly add in ginger powder and food coloring and stir just until mixed.
- Pour into molds and let set up. Number of servings will depend on your mold.
- Coat suckers with a little powdered sugar and individually wrap with plastic.
- Suck on the sucker until nausea subsides.