Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This flavorful bar cookie comes from Nick Malgieri's Cookies Unlimited. After tasting them at my holiday party, a friend raved and asked for the recipe, so here it is. The "preserved ginger" called for the recipe is stem ginger in syrup, sold in jars. It's commonly available in England. In the US, try gourmet food shops, especially thsoe with a focus on British imports.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup preserved gingerroot, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup candied cherry, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger syrup (from preserved gingerroot)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, strained
- Butter a 10"x15"x1" baking pan and line it with buttered parchment or foil.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine flour, granulated sugar, ground ginger, and baking powder.
- Melt butter and stir into dry ingredients.
- Beat in the chopped cherries, chopped ginger, and ginger syrup.
- Put the batter in the prepared pan, spread gently, and pat the top smooth with a lightly floured hand.
- Bake 20-30 minutes, until lightly browned and firm to the touch.
- While it is baking, make a glaze by combining the lemon juice and confectioner's sugar.
- After removing the baked product from oven, brush glaze on while still hot.
- Let cool.
- Remove from pan (the foil or parchment should make this easy) and cut into squares with a sharp knife.