Recipe by christina white
For ginger lovers only. My husband just can't keep away from these. Adapted from the Beat That! Cookbook by Ann Hodgman.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 ounces sliced crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Butter a 9-inch square pan.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter.
- Remove from heat and stir in the brown sugar.
- When cool, beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, chopped ginger, baking powder, ground ginger and salt.
- Add the butter-sugar mixture.
- Stir well.
- Scape batter into pan.
- Bake the squares for 20-25 minutes.
- The edges should be slightly bubbled and glazed-looking, and there will be a tissue-thin layer on top of the (baked) batter.
- Glaze: While the squares are baking, stir together the lemon juice and confectioner's sugar.
- As soon as the ginger squares come out of the oven, spread the glaze over them.
- Cut into squares when cool.