Recipe by Sharon123
A really yummy syrup that can be used for a great drink! Adapted from Bon Appetit magazine(May 2006). Suggested uses for syrup:Place chopped mango or lime along with some mint in a glass. Muddle (mash), add ginger spice syrup, top with club soda or/and drink of choice. For a party, put out bowls of blueberries, chopped kiwi and pineapples, strawberries, etc. Have fun!
Top Review by Spice Princess
This syrup rocks! So far I have tried it in green tea, with club soda, and also with vodka and club soda for cocktail night :) I was really hoping to try it on fruit salad, but it seems I have used it all up and I'll have to make more! Thanks so much, Sharon, this will be a staple in my fridge from now on.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled, grated
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring ingredients to a boil on medium high heat, stirring often until the sugar dissolves.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Cover and let sit about 1 hour to steep.
- Strain syrup into a small pitcher; discard the solids in a strainer.
- Cover and chill in refrigerator until syrup is cold, about 3 hours.
- May be made up to 1 week ahead. Keep refrigerated until using.