Recipe by Nana Lee
Here's a nice change from the butter cookies of the season. The 2 1/2 hours cooking time includes 2 hours for chilling.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 375°
- Grease cookie sheets.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add molasses and egg; beat well.
- In another bowl combine dry ingredients and mix with fork.
- Stir dry ingredients into creamed mixture, mixing well.
- Chill cookie dough for 2 hours.
- Shape in 1-inch balls, then roll each ball in sugar.
- Place ginger cookies on greased baking sheets and bake in preheated oven for about 12 minutes.