Recipe by pamela t.
This delicious cake is from Bon Apetit. Simply divine.
Top Review by JackieOhNo!
This was fantastic, and a real treat for us ginger-lovers! It wasn't quite as time-consuming as it looks. I ended up using much less than 1/2 cup of turbinado sugar, because I was afraid it would be overly sweet with the 2 cups of sugar in the cake, and it came out just right for us. Thanks for posting this keeper. Made for Pick a Chef Fall 2009.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup turbinado sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 piece gingerroot, 2-inch long
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 quarts strawberries
- 2 mint leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brush softened butter (2 T) generously all over the inside of a 12 cup Bundt pan.
- Sprinkle turbinado sugar over butter in Bundt pan
- Whisk flour, ground ginger, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl; set aside
- In mixer, add 1 C softened butter, mix until smooth.
- Add 2 C sugar, mix about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well in between each egg.
- Beat in 1 large egg yolk and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture in 3 additions.
- Alternate flour with adding sour cream in 3 additions.
- Mix in crystallized ginger.
- Spread batter in pan, carefully avoiding mixing in sugar. You want the sugar to stay on the outside of the cake, not mix it with the batter.
- Bake until light brown, about 55 minutes.
- Transfer to rack, cool 15 minutes.
- Gently tap bottom of pan, and using a spatula, carefully loosen on all sides.
- Place cake plate atop Bundt pan and turn over. The cake should fall onto the cake plate.
- Cool completely.
- For strawberries:.
- Combine ginger, water, sugar, and lemon juice in small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Boil until mixture is reduced, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cool to room temperature.
- Place hulled and cleaned strawberris into a medium bowl.
- Strain ginger water and pour over the berries.
- Cover and chill at least one hour.
- Cut cake into slices, add berries with syrup.
- Garnish with mint leaf.