Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
I received this recipe from the Prescott Journal which actually called them "Nona's World Famous Ginger Snaps". I found some Molasses Krinkles recipes that had the same ingredients but different baking instructions. Since I won't be keeping the paper and do want to try this recipe I'm posting it here. (By the way 4 tablespoons is equal to 1/4 cup)
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Cream together shortening and brown sugar until well mixed, light, and fluffy.
- Beat together well the egg, salt, molasses and then mix these into the above.
- Sift together flour, baking soad, ground cloves, cinnamon and ginger.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture and combine well.
- Chill in the refrigerator a few hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- After chilled, shape dough into balls about walnut-sized and place balls on a greased cookie sheet, allowing room for expansion. Flatten balls with a fork.
- Bake in 350-degree oven 12 to 15 minutes. Do not let get too brown.
- *Recipe also states: I like these cookies thin and crisp. Experiment and adapt to suit taste, size and desired consistancy. Mine are about 2-1/2" in diameter.
These cookies are great! They are not the easiest cookie to work with, but I think they were worth it. I used a square of plastic wrap in my hand to help shape the crumbly dough together, and it worked much better than me bare hand. Much better than store bought ginger snaps. Excellent with pumpkin cheesecake dip.
These turned out great! I was really hesitant on the batter turning out extremely crumbly, but the cookied turned out surprisingly great: crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. :)
These are outstanding!! They are crispy and light. I used 1 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour plus 1 cup of white flour. They turned out just scrumptious and made my whole house smell amazing! No one even knows they are made from whole wheat flour. And ginger is known for so many health benefits! These are wonderful!!!!