Recipe by Deblet
My neice and I were experimenting with Holiday leftovers. It was a cold, raw day and we wanted something warm and satisfying, but carb friendly. We came up with this soup, and it is really wonderful. Everyone who tries it loves it!We hope you do, too.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cups vegetable stock (canned is ok) or 8 cups chicken stock (canned is ok)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice or 1⁄2 cup wild rice
- 12 shrimp, cooked, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups of fresh Baby Spinach, torn into bite sized peices, stems removed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stockpot (8qt), begin by sauteing minced garlic, ginger, onion, celery in olive oil until onion & celery are soft and becoming translucent.
- Add the stock, salt & pepper and thyme, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add the rice.
- Cook until rice is al dente.
- Add the shrimp and spinach.
- Simmer until the spinach is wilted and the shrimp is heated through.
- Add the cream or half & half. Taste and adjust salt & pepper if necessary. Garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese of your choice.