1/1 Photo of Ginger Shortcakes With Cranberry Pear Compote
These make for a very impressive autumn dessert. The recipe is adpated from Cuisine at Home and the ingredients list is rather long; but once broken down into steps is quite manageable. Serve these warm with the Orange Cream melting down the side.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, cubed
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 2 1/2 cups ripe bosc pears, thinly sliced, skin on
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cups fresh cranberries or 3 cups frozen cranberries, divided
- 1/2 cup ginger ale
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees; line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2For the shortcakes, stir together the first 6 ingredients (flour through salt); cut in butter and shortening with a pastry blender until well blended.
- 3Whisk together the cream and egg, fold into flour mixture just until most but still lumpy.
- 4Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, measure out and form shortcakes; brush the tops with the 1 tablespoon cream and sprinkle with the turbinado sugar.
- 5Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until brown; remove from pan onto wire rack and allow to cool.
- 6To prepare the compote, in a saucepan combine the sliced pears with the sugars, butter and cinnamon stick; place over medium heat until sugar dissolves, approximately 2 minutes.
- 7To the pear mixture, add 2 cups of the cranberries and ginger ale; cover and simmer until berries pop and sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- 8Add the remaining cranberries and corn syrup; serve warm over the shortcakes topped with orange cream.
- 9For the orange cream, place cream through orange extract in small mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer or wire whisk until soft peaks form.
- 10Garnish by sifting additional powdered sugar over all and topping with orange zest.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ginger Shortcakes With Cranberry Pear Compote
Serving Size: 1 (224 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 549.1
- Calories from Fat 274
- Total Fat 30.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 102.8 mg
- Sodium 391.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 29.9 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: