Prep 20 mins
Cook 9 mins
Serve warm with strawberry jam. Perfect with a hot cup of tea. The scones can be frozen.
- 591.47 ml all-purpose flour
- 24.64 ml baking powder
- 73.94 ml sugar
- 44.37 ml cold butter, diced
- 118.29 ml milk
- 118.29 ml cream, divided
- 1 egg yolk
- 118.29 ml minced candied ginger
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line two baking sheets with waxed paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and butter with an electric mixer.
- Add the milk, 1/4 cup of the cream, the egg yolk, and the candied ginger. Mix until just incorporated (do not overmix.).
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured service and roll out to 3/4" thickness.
- Use a heart-shaped or round cutter to cut out the scones. Place the scones on the baking sheets.
- Brush the tops of the scones with the remaining 1/4 cup cream. Bake for 4 minutes, rotate, and bake for 5 minutes more.
- Remove from the sheets with a spatula and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with strawberry jam (and clotted cream, if you like.).
Very nice, very tender scone, not overly sweet and the ginger adds a wonderful note. I minced mine very fine so that the ginger bits did not impinge on the texture/mouth feel. Thanks, swissms!
Very light and VERY tasty! Good enough on their own without jam or honey. Loved the candied ginger pieces. I used the food processor to cut up the ginger and then added the dry ingredients and butter and processed until crumbly, then put that in a bowl and mixed in the wet ingredients by hand. Dough was easy to roll out.
Absolutely delicious. I cut the recipe back for 8 scones and the dough was too soft to cut (not all recipes adapt well to size changes) but I didn't want to ruin what I had with working in more flour. I sprayed a baking dish with Pam and loaded it in reducing the oven temp to 350F and ended up baking it for about 30 mins. It came out wonderful and I couldn't be more pleased with the flavor and texture. It's not too sweet (I used Splenda) nor is the ginger overpowering. A wedge with afternoon coffee was a delight.