Recipe by swissms
Serve warm with strawberry jam. Perfect with a hot cup of tea. The scones can be frozen.
Top Review by Chef Kate
Very nice, very tender scone, not overly sweet and the ginger adds a wonderful note. I minced mine very fine so that the ginger bits did not impinge on the texture/mouth feel. Thanks, swissms!
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, diced
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cream, divided
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup minced candied ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line two baking sheets with waxed paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and butter with an electric mixer.
- Add the milk, 1/4 cup of the cream, the egg yolk, and the candied ginger. Mix until just incorporated (do not overmix.).
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured service and roll out to 3/4" thickness.
- Use a heart-shaped or round cutter to cut out the scones. Place the scones on the baking sheets.
- Brush the tops of the scones with the remaining 1/4 cup cream. Bake for 4 minutes, rotate, and bake for 5 minutes more.
- Remove from the sheets with a spatula and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with strawberry jam (and clotted cream, if you like.).