Charlotte J's Note:
Interesting recipe. I've never prepared rice using this method before..baking. I need to give it a try.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- 2Cut the ginger in half lengthwise.
- 3Place on a cutting board, cut side down.
- 4Crush using whatever method you like.
- 5I lay the blade of my chef's knife on the ginger and hit it with the heel of my hand.
- 6This will slightly break down ginger’s tough fibers.
- 7Transfer smashed ginger and any juices to a medium saucepan; add chicken broth and soy sauce.
- 8Bring to a boil.
- 9Meanwhile, in a heavy, over-proof skillet or sauce pan with a lid, or in a shallow, flameproof casserole with lid, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- 10Add rice.
- 11Stirring often, just until rice begins to brown, about 5 minutes.
- 12Stir in garlic; cook for 1 more minute.
- 13Remove from heat; pour boiling chicken broth and ginger into rice, stirring to combine.
- 14Immediately cover tightly.
- 15Bake until rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- 16Remove ginger chunks.
- 17Salt and pepper to taste; stir rice to fluff.
- 18Serve hot.
- 19Stove top Method:
- 20Smash ginger root.
- 21Combine all ingredients except rice in a medium saucepan; bring to boil.
- 22Stir in rice.
- 23Cover tightly and simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- 24Salt and pepper taste.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ginger Rice
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 351.7
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1021.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: