Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I love rhubarb and I love ginger, so this is a perfect recipe for me. Rhubarb grows like crazy in my part of Alaska and it is popular in England too. This is adapted from a Jamie Oliver recipe, posted for ZWT8
- 7 cups rhubarb, sliced
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, diced, divided
- 2 tablespoons candied ginger, diced, divided
- 1 large orange, juice of
- zest of one large orange
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Put the rhubarb into a medium sized pot along with half the brown sugar, 1 tabespoon of each of the gingers and the orange juice and zest. Bring to a boil and turn down and simmer for a few minutes to soften the rhubarb. Spoon the cooked rhubarb into an ovenproof casserole dish.
- To make the crumble topping put the oats, the remaining brown sugar, the flour, and the rest of the ginger pieces in a bowl. Add the cold butter and blend the butter into the rest of the ingredients with your fingers to create crumbs. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the cooked rhubarb in the casserole.
- Bake at 350F for about 40 minutes, until the topping is golden brown . Cool sligthly before serving. Great with ice cream, whipped cream or custard!
Made with rhubarb just pulled from the yard for it. It's really lovely. Love the ginger and orange juice additions. We'll have this for dessert tonight with ice cream but I *had* to do a taste test and it's winner. It's juicy without being watery and a perfect sweet/tart mix. I sweetened with Splenda. Made for ZWT 8