Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A good spicy muffin
- 5 1⁄2 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 1⁄2 cup dried currants or 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup cooked pumpkin puree, plus
- 2 tablespoons cooked pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat buttermilk, plus
- 2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup packed golden brown sugar, plus
- 3 tablespoons packed golden brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsulphured molasses (light)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F Line sixteen 1/3-cup muffin cups with paper liners. Mix 2 1/2 tablespoons crystallized ginger, currants and brandy in small bowl.
- Sift flour, ground ginger, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt into medium bowl. Whisk pumpkin puree, buttermilk and vanilla in another bowl. Using electric mixer, beat egg whites and egg in large bowl until foamy. Add 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar; beat until light, about 2 minutes. Beat in molasses and oil. Beat in dry ingredients alternately with pumpkin mixture in 3 additions each. Stir in currant mixture.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Mix 3 tablespoons crystallized ginger and 1 tablespoon brown sugar in small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over muffins.
- Bake muffins until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool on rack.