Recipe by JenSmith
If you like the zing of ginger and the creamy smooth texture of pudding, this simple dessert is perfect for you! Best of all, it's low-cal and low-fat, so you can eat as much as you like!
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1⁄3 cup finley chopped crystallized ginger
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 dash salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 2 1/2 cups milk and the ginger in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently, but DO NOT BOIL!
- Remove milk and ginger from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine 1/2 cup milk, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and egg yolks in a medium bowl. Whisk until well blended.
- Gradually stir 1/4 of milk mixture into the egg mixture. Add this into the remaining milk mixture, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Mixture should be thick and creamy.
- Remove mixture from heat. Stir in butter, lemon rind, vanilla, and spices.
- Pour into a bowl or individual dessert glasses. Cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap to avoid forming a skin.
- Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.