Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
If you like the zing of ginger and the creamy smooth texture of pudding, this simple dessert is perfect for you! Best of all, it's low-cal and low-fat, so you can eat as much as you like!
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1⁄3 cup finley chopped crystallized ginger
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 dash salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Combine 2 1/2 cups milk and the ginger in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently, but DO NOT BOIL!
- Remove milk and ginger from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine 1/2 cup milk, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and egg yolks in a medium bowl. Whisk until well blended.
- Gradually stir 1/4 of milk mixture into the egg mixture. Add this into the remaining milk mixture, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Mixture should be thick and creamy.
- Remove mixture from heat. Stir in butter, lemon rind, vanilla, and spices.
- Pour into a bowl or individual dessert glasses. Cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap to avoid forming a skin.
- Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.