Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Peppernuts are a Christmas tradition in my family, but this variety, found online, is a different style than what I grew up with--something new to try this Christmas.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour (less at high altitude)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 tablespoon minced candied ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar (for dusting)
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Combine butter and brown sugar in saucepan to melt.
- Sift together flour, ginger, soda, and salt. Stir into butter mixture.
- Pat dough into square or rectangle shape on cookie sheet. Cut like you would a cake or bars into bite-size pieces. Do not separate. Bake 20 minutes.
- After removing from oven, re-cut peppernuts along the same lines. Cool, then toss in powdered sugar to coat.