Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From April 2011 Bon Appetit - These look like they would be perfect for a brunch with friends!
Make and share this Ginger-Pecan Scones recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1⁄3 cups pecan halves, toasted, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup plus 3 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger (about 4 ounces)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425°F; line large baking sheet with parchment.
- Whisk flour, 2/3 cup sugar, baking powder, ground ginger, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and baking soda in large bowl.
- Add butter; using fingertips, blend butter into flour until coarse meal forms. Toss in pecans and 1/2 cup crystallized ginger.
- Whisk 1 cup buttermilk, grated ginger, and vanilla in measuring cup.
- Form well in center of dry ingredients.
- Add buttermilk; stir with fork until moist clumps form. Transfer to lightly floured surface.
- Knead just until dough comes together; divide in half.
- Form each half into 61/2-inch disk. Cut each disk into 6 wedges. Transfer to sheet.
- Brush with 11/2 tablespoons buttermilk. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar and 3 tablespoons crystallized ginger; press to adhere.
- Bake scones until golden and toothpick inserted horizontally into center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Cool scones on sheet on rack.