Prep 2 hrs 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This refined and grown-up twist on the oatmeal cookie is ideal. Yummm
- 1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 3⁄4 cup pecan halves
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- Grind the oatmeal and pecan pieces in a food processor until they resemble cornmeal--reasonably fine but with some texture. Whisk the whole wheat flour, cornstarch, ginger, salt and baking soda together in a medium bowl. Whisk in the oat/nut mixture.
- In another medium bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer until smooth and light, about 1 minute. Gradually add the granulated and light brown sugar; continue beating until evenly combined, about 3 minutes more. Add the vanilla and the egg.
- Mix in the dry ingredients to make a textured dough. Line a 1 1/2-quart loaf pan or 3 mini loaf pans with plastic wrap and pack dough into the bottom half of the pan. Press to level off the dough. Lay a piece of plastic wrap on top and refrigerate until completely firm, about 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Remove dough from the pan and unwrap. Slice dough in half lengthwise if using a large pan. Slice each log crosswise into 1/4-inch thick cookies. Place the cookies about a 1-inch apart on the prepared pans. Bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer cookies to a rack to cool and crisp.
Yum! Such delicious cookies! I loved the combination of pecans, oatmeal and ginger, and the whole wheat flour adds a nuttiness to the flavour profile as well. This recipe is definately in my keeper file! Thanks, Annacia! Made for Zaar Stars Tag.
This is a very nice cookie - I did bastardize the recipe a bit. Try this if you dare. I made this to recipe, except: Doubled (I may triple or quad next time) the amount of ginger. (still not ginger-snapish). Add 1/2 C. crystallized Ginger chopped. 1/2 semi-sweet Choc Chips 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper (yes pepper) Used toasted slivered almonds instead of pecans. I cooked immediately after mixing - no chilling - just roll into walnut sized balls and press down dough with the back of a spatula. Cook 10-11 minutes for chew - 12-14 for crispier.
Yummy oatmeal cookies - loved the gingery flavour! I will be making these often as the kids had them finished off in 2 days (oh, and the neighbour's kids loved them, too).