Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From Company's Coming.
- 10 cups peeled cored and sliced pears (about 4 1/2 lbs.)
- 1 orange, juice and zest of, grated
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of, grated
- 6 cups granulated sugar
- 2 inches piece gingerroot, tied in double layer of cheesecloth
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Stir; let stand about 1 hour until pears release their juice.
- Heat and stir until it comes to a boil.
- Cook uncovered, stirring often until pears are mushy.
- Cook rapidly, stirring constantly until jam stage is reached. This will take about 55 minutes.
- Discard spice bag, skim if needed.
- Pour into hot sterilized half pint jars to within 1/4 inch of top. Place sterilized metal lids on jars and screw metal bands on securely. For added assurance against spoilage, you may choose to process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
I loved this recipe!! I made several batches. I liked to use the little hand blender to smooth it out a little and leave some chunks in it. Highly recommend you try this recipe.