Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From my food preservation group files.
- 4 lbs ripe but firm pears, such as Bosc, peeled
- 4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon pectin (optional)
- Grate pears coarsely. Combine grated pears with sugar, lemon juice, and ginger in large SS pot.
- Bring pear mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 30-45 minutes, or until thickened.
- Stir pectin into 3/4 cup of jam liquid, if desired, and add to jam.
- Cook 3 minutes more.
- Meanwhile prepare jars, lids, canner.
- Fill jars to 1/4-inch headspace, cap, and process 10 minutes.