Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
From Southern Living.
- 12 large firm bosc pears, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large bowl, toss pears with brown sugar and flour.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat; add in pear mixture; cook and stir often for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Remove skillet from heat; stir in pecans, ginger, and lemon rind.
- Transfer mixture to a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish.
- Roll piecrusts to press out fold lines; cut into 1/2-inch strips; arrange strips in a lattice design over filling.
- Reroll remaining strips and scraps; cut leaf shapes from piecrusts using a small 1-inch leaf shaped cookie cutter.
- Score designs in leaves using a paring knife, if desired.
- Arrange leaves around inner edge of baking dish, forming a decorative border over ends of lattice.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and water together; brush over pie crust.
- Bake in a 425° oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.