Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
There's something classic about peach pie. This double crust beauty kicks the old classic up a notch with the addition of ginger and gingersnaps. When the aroma of the ginger intermingles with the peaches fresh out of the oven, you'll know you have a winner. If you'd like to save some time, please feel free to use store bought pie crusts. From an old newspaper clipping.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup lard or 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 -5 tablespoons water
- 7 cups peaches (peeled and sliced fresh peaches)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons ginger snaps, finely crushed
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- For the pie dough, mix flour and salt together in a large bowl.
- Cut in lard or shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in water until mixture gathers easily into a ball.
- Refrigerate, covered, at least 30 minutes (placing the filling in a chilled crust and baking immediately helps prevent a soggy bottom crust).
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix sliced peaches, 1/3 cup sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and rind, ground ginger and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Cut pie dough into halves with one half slightly larger than the other.
- Roll out the larger piece on a lightly floured surface to 1/8" thickness.
- Fit into a deep 9" pie pan.
- Trim edge and sprinkle bottom with gingersnap crumbs.
- Transfer filling to pan, mounding the peaches slightly in the center.
- Roll out second piece of dough, fit over peaches and seal the crusts together; flute the edge.
- Cut several small slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Brush crust all over with whipping cream and sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar over the top.
- Put pie onto a baking sheet and place in oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes; reduce temperature to 350F and continue to bake an additional 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack.