Recipe by Mirj
Another fantastic recipe from my upstairs neighbor, who likes to raid my fruit trees, and always gives me the wonderful things she makes with that fruit. I love to use this jam poured over chicken pieces in a crock pot, or covered in the oven.
Top Review by Charlis Meador
And, my best regards to your upstairs neighbor, also! I had gotten carried away buying peaches at the local fruit stand last week and was looking for a way to "salvage" some before they went bad. When I came across this recipe, I knew I had found my solution. The only change I made was to add about 1T. of chopped candied ginger. This may very well be great to use when cooking chicken, but that experiment will have to wait until the next batch: this batch is already about gone! Thank you to you and your neighbor.
- 3 lbs peaches (about 6 cups)
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the peaches in boiling water for 1 minute, or until the skins loosen.
- Then plunge them in ice water.
- Slip off the skins, halve the fruit and remove the pits.
- Cut the peaches into 1 inch pieces.
- In a large, non-reactive pot, mix the peaches, sugar, ginger, lemon juice and allspice.
- Simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes, or until the mixture thickens and mounds on the spoon.
- Ladle into jars and store in the fridge for up to 2 months.