Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another fantastic recipe from my upstairs neighbor, who likes to raid my fruit trees, and always gives me the wonderful things she makes with that fruit. I love to use this jam poured over chicken pieces in a crock pot, or covered in the oven.
- 3 lbs peaches (about 6 cups)
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- Place the peaches in boiling water for 1 minute, or until the skins loosen.
- Then plunge them in ice water.
- Slip off the skins, halve the fruit and remove the pits.
- Cut the peaches into 1 inch pieces.
- In a large, non-reactive pot, mix the peaches, sugar, ginger, lemon juice and allspice.
- Simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes, or until the mixture thickens and mounds on the spoon.
- Ladle into jars and store in the fridge for up to 2 months.
And, my best regards to your upstairs neighbor, also! I had gotten carried away buying peaches at the local fruit stand last week and was looking for a way to "salvage" some before they went bad. When I came across this recipe, I knew I had found my solution. The only change I made was to add about 1T. of chopped candied ginger. This may very well be great to use when cooking chicken, but that experiment will have to wait until the next batch: this batch is already about gone! Thank you to you and your neighbor.
I had already made a few pies and still had 2 cups of peach pieces left, so I thought I'd make jam. I perused the recipes and found this one, realized I had a piece of ginger sitting in the freezer I could also use, and decided to make 1/3 recipe. I'm very glad I did! The ginger gives the sweet peachy taste a wonderful kick. I already enjoyed this on my morning toast and have made a few trips to the fridge to have a spoonful of this jam right from the jar! This jam is very easy to make and tastes absolutely delicious. Thank you Mirj for sharing this and my best regards to your upstairs neighbour!
I decided to make peach jam for my niece's wedding favors, had some leftover peaches and decided to try this recipe as I LOVE to experiment with different spices. This turned out wonderfully well. I did add 6T. of lemon juice, the ginger as directed, had no allspice so I added 3/4t. cardamon, 1/2t. nutmeg.....so delicious!!!!! I am going to make another batch! Oh! I did cut the sugar a third. It is quite sassy and packs a tad of a wallop! Thanks so much!