Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Recipe by Mark Miller Adopted 09/06
- 2 ripe papayas, seeded and cubed (or substitute with mango)
- 1⁄4 cup crystallized ginger, minced finely
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers or 2 habanero peppers, seeded
- 1⁄3 cup dark rum
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup coconut juice or 1⁄4 cup Coco Lopez
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons honey
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon anise
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- Seed and cube papaya (or substitute with mango).
- Combine with finely minced crystallized ginger.
- Set aside.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a blender.
- Puree just until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Pour into a saucepan.
- Add papaya and ginger.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Note: Salsa will keep refrigerated for 4-6 weeks.