1 hr 45 mins
I have been making these during the holidays for a few years. The original recipe came from a condensed milk recipe book but I made several changes, including adding alcohol which makes them really great. They are very good with or without the booze. They are no cook and easy to make. The yield is approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (20 ounce) packages gingersnap cookies, finely crushed (about 10 cups crumbs)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans condensed milk
- 2 (7 ounce) packages flaked coconut (2 2/3 cups)
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup rum (optional)
- 1/2 cup triple sec (optional) or 1/2 cup Grand Marnier (optional)
- 2 (7 ounce) packages flaked coconut (for dredging)
- 2 oranges, rind of, grated (for dredging)
- 1Use a food processor to finely crush the cookies.
- 2In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients except additional coconut and rind. Chill at least one hour. The mixture should be fairly firm but sticky.
- 3Combine dredging ingredients in a shallow plate such as a pie plate.
- 4Shape ball batter into 1 inch balls. The easiest way to do this is with a small 2 teaspoon scooper. Roll in additional coconut mixed with rind. Store tightly covered in refrigerator.
- 5The flavor of these candies improves after several days. I usually give it at least one week. They can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for several weeks.
- 7If you want to omit the alcohol you should only use 2 packages of ginger snaps. The balls should sit for 24 hours to let flavors combine.
- 8You can use all almonds or all walnuts.
- 9Omit the dates and use 2 cups raisins if you prefer.
- 10Dredge the balls in additional crushed ginger snaps mixed with confectioners sugar if you prefer.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ginger Orange Nut Balls
Serving Size: 1 (3621 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1383.9
- Calories from Fat 532
- Total Fat 59.1 g
- Saturated Fat 31.3 g
- Cholesterol 28.7 mg
- Sodium 1107.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 202.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 125.3 g
- Protein 21.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, rind of