Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
Unexpected flavor combination
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, thinly grated
- tangerines, slice or mandarin orange slice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°; insert liners into cupcake pans .
- In a bowl, sift flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Add butter and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat at medium speed until mixture is light and airy.
- Reduce speed to low, add eggs in one at a time, mixing well.
- Add in half the orange juice and the ginger to the batter.
- Gradually add half the amount of dry ingredients, mixing until just incorporated; add in remaining orange juice and remaining half of dry ingredients, mixing until batter is smooth (don't overmix).
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full; bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cupcakes are springy to the touch and a pick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Make the glaze: Add orange juice, lemon juice, and powdered sugar into a small saucepan on low heat, mixing for about 2 minutes until liquids slightly evaporate.
- Remove from heat and glaze cupcakes with a tablespoon each.
- Wait about 5 minutes for glaze to cool and harden before topping with peeled tangerine wedge.
I agree with previous reviewer; these are more of a muffin than cupcake. Very tasty but I must add that I had to do a last minute substitution as I discovered I had no fresh ginger (usually have some in refrigerator) so I had to substitute with 1 tsp ground ginger. The taste was still very good, with a subtle hint of ginger. The ginger taste was more predominant in the batter (of course I tasted it!) than the finished product using the dried ginger. I also added about 1/4 tsp of dried orange zest. I got 18 muffins from this batch. I also added more sugar to the glaze to make it thicker and it still never really "hardened." Makes for a little bit of a messy muffin...but yes, I will definitely make this again. I was thinking of topping with some chopped, candied ginger too. Maybe next time!
These were very delicious. However, these have the consistency of muffins more than cupcakes - the batter was pretty thick and sticky. Also, I would have preferred more orange flavor so maybe adding some orange zest would've been good. But, overall, they were great. Oh, and the glaze is to die for. I added a little more sugar than it called for to make it a little thicker. Thanks for posting it!
Very tasty and easy to make! I also added orange zest and a little more orange juice to the recipe! I absolutely love the glaze, it's the extra kick of flavor and sweetness that makes these cupcakes great!!! I also added more sugar to make the glaze thicker. Thanks for this recipe!!!